Helping protect and restore forests in Latin America and the Caribbean
Forests, when sustainably managed and protected, can play a key role in climate change mitigation, adaptation, maintenance of biodiversity, and economic development. By helping countries to properly manage forests, the IDB is helping the region to reduce emissions from deforestation and forest degradation; adapt to climate change; and protect biodiversity while promoting rural development along pathways that protect and sustainable manage forests.
An important challenge for Latin America and the Caribbean is to increase agriculture production to meet the growing demand for food, fiber, and energy without proportionally increasing greenhouse gas emissions or damaging other life supporting ecosystems services provided by forests. The Bank supports measures to reduce emissions from deforestation and forest degradation by reducing open access to natural forests; fostering sustainable rural development; promoting economic activities to foster forest protection and conservation and research, impact evaluations and capacity building to improve understanding of policies that seek to reduce emissions from deforestation.
By the numbers
Deforestation and forest degradation accounts for nearly 17% of global Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions. More>>
News and Views
To support the region in the Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and forest Degradation (REDD) agenda, the IDB is expanding its role as an implementing agency for climate change-related funds. The IDB is working with FIP, CFP and GRIF on tropical forest deforestation in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Feb 14, 2011.
In 2002, the IDB approved an integrated, large-scale operation to reduce deforestation and forest degradation in Brazil. With a total cost of $108 million and IDB financing of $64 million
Feb 7, 2011.
- Honduras. Program for Climate-Resilient Agroforestry for the Sustainability of Water-Related Ecosystem Services.
- Guatemala. Competitive Landscapes’ Green Guarantee.
- Colombia. Strengthening of Forest Governance. Dec 13, 2018
- Mexico. Support to Territorial and Forest Management to Support to the Climate Change Agenda in Mexico. Oct 18, 2018
- Guatemala. Support to the preparation of the Sustainable Forest Management Project. Oct 1, 2018
- Peru. Forest Investment Projects in Peru. Sep 19, 2018