Agriculture and Food Security
Our main goal is to accelerate growth of agricultural output in Latin America and the Caribbean while promoting efficient and sustainable management of natural resources. Through sustained growth in the sector, the Bank is helping to enhance food security, increased incomes for the rural population and reduce poverty.
To maintain or increase agricultural growth and to face the challenges of feeding an increasing population and adapting to the impacts of climate change, the IDB helps farmers increase their productivity with greater access to markets, better agricultural services and increased investments.
By the numbers
Agriculture in the region suffers from a slow growth in productivity. The annual rate of growth of total productivity in the region grew only 1.9 percent between 1961 and 2007. More>>
News and Views
IDB to back low carbon agricultural products in Latin America to help on climate change mitigation
Feb 4, 2011.
FONTAGRO is an alliance of 15 countries to fund research and innovation in the agricultural sector in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Feb 3, 2011.
- Haiti. Support to the Preparation of the Rural Development Program with Watershed Approach (HA-L1132). May 3, 2019
- Ecuador. Support to the Implementation of the National Plan for Irrigation and Drainage. Dec 3, 2018
- Suriname. Sustainable Agricultural Productivity Program. Sep 26, 2018
- Suriname. Support for the Preparation and Starting Stage of the Sustainable Agricultural Productivity Program. Dec 8, 2017
- Haiti. Irrigation infrastructure information system. Oct 7, 2016
- Haiti. Improvement of Sediment Management in the Peligre Reservoir. Jul 13, 2016
- How Can You Print a Building? (22:52)
- Improving Rural Life (03:30)
- Keeping Track of Livestock (03:30)