The MICI operates independently of IDB Group Management (departments responsible for the design and financing of the project of each institution, including the staff members of each country office), and reports directly to the Boards of Executive Directors of the IDB and the IDB Invest, and to the Donors Committee of the MIF.
The office operates under the leadership of the MICI Director, who is selected by the IDB’s Board of Executive Directors and to whom he/she reports directly. The Director’s duties and powers are established in the MICI-IDB Policy and the terms of reference for the position are annexed to it. While providing services to the IIC, his/her duties and powers are outlined in the MICI-IDB Invest Policy.
MICI governance is structured around its dual phase processes, and the MICI Director is assisted by two Phase Coordinators responsible for managing each process:
- the Consultation Phase Coordinator
- the Compliance Review Phase Coordinator
In order to ensure the independence of these three MICI managers from IDB Group Management, there are special employment conditions for these positions:
- The MICI Director is appointed by the IDB’s Board of Executive Directors for a period of five years, which may be renewed for one additional five-year period.
- The Phase Coordinators are appointed by the MICI Director and may serve for up to five years.
- Any IDB Group staff member wishing to serve in these positions may not work at MICI until three (3) years have elapsed since the end of their employment with the Group.
- Upon completion of their service to the MICI, persons who have served as MICI Director, Compliance Review Phase Coordinator, or Consultation Phase Coordinator cannot work at the IDB Group in any capacity.
The MICI team also has a number of staff members and consultants with diverse nationalities and areas of expertise, including the specialists on the Roster of Experts, who contribute within their different roles to implement MICI’s mandate in keeping with the principles of impartiality, transparency, efficiency, and credibility.